Canvas is updated every month with new features and fixes. The Macomb CTL posts new release highlights to our blog at emacomb.com. Please contact us at email@example.com if you have questions about Canvas releases.
November 16 Release
Please watch the New Feature Screencast for a review of the updates in this release:
Microsoft Immersive Reader
Microsoft is bringing its Immersive Reader to Canvas. This feature is designed to benefit students of all ages, reading levels, and visual abilities. The Immersive Reader presents large text on an uncluttered background with added white space. Students may also toggle Read Aloud, a text-to-speech feature, to support reading comprehension.
To activate, simply click the Immersive Reader button in the top right of the Page. At this time, the Immersive Reader is only available in Canvas Pages, but not Assignments, Quizzes, Discussions, or Files.
Rich Content Editor Enhancements
A New Rich Content Editor is now available, and the existing Rich Content Editor will be deprecated. It will be removed on June 20, 2020, at which point the New RCE will become the default. You may enable the New RCE at any point after November 16, 2019 to become familiar with it. The feature is activated under Course Settings for each individual course.
Detail of redesigned icons:
The plug icon on the far right is to link External Apps / LTIs such as Codio, Techsmith, Office 365, and Films on Demand.
Plagiarism Reports in Gradebook
This release introduces plagiarism report icons to the New Gradebook. Previously, these were only viewable in the old gradebook (which will be permanently removed January 18, 2020.)
The icons have also been redesigned for visibility by using shape to convey information:
- Exclamation point icon: Error in submitting. Resubmit to plagiarism service (at Macomb, this will be TurnItIn) through SpeedGrader.
- Red half-filled circle icon: Similarity score between 20% and 60%. Moderate chance of plagiarism. Review the submission in TurnItIn.
- Green circle with checkmark icon: Similarity score between 0% and 20%, meaning low chance of plagiarism.
- Solid red circle icon: Similarity score higher than 60%. High chance of plagiarism. Strongly recommend reviewing submission in TurnItIn.
- Clock icon: submission in process. Check back in a few minutes.
The Grade Detail Tray (overlapping pane on right) also shows the icon, similarity score, and a link to access the submission in TurnItIn.
The next Canvas production release will be available Saturday, December 14, with release notes available Monday, November 25.
Images on this page are from the Canvas Guides and Release Notes, licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International Agreement.