Canvas is updated every third Saturday with new features and fixes. The Macomb CTL will post highlights from the production release notes and related content to our blog at ctl.emacomb.com. Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions about Canvas releases.
November 17 and December 8 Releases
Please see the New Feature Screencast for a video demonstration of the updates in this release.
The screencast for the December 8 release will be made available closer to the release date.
Rich Content Editor: Embedded Image File Uploads
- Students and instructors may now upload an embedded image/file directly into the Rich Content Editor.
- Click the Embed Image button in the Rich Content Editor to use the updated interface:
- Select the Canvas tab and you’ll be able to quickly embed files from Course Files and My Files.
- From this screen, you may also upload new images from your device to My Files and embed them on the page.
Accessibility: Screen Reader Browser Support
Screen reader support for Internet Explorer 11 and Edge browsers has been discontinued. Firefox is the recommended browser for those using screen reading software to access Canvas.
Reorder Dashboard Course Cards
- You may now move the course cards on your Dashboard. Click the Options menu (three dots) to see four choices for moving the card.
- Cards can now be dragged and dropped as well, for easier placement.
- Newly-added courses will appear at the bottom of the course card list.
HTML5 Supported in Media Recorder
The Record Media button in the Rich Content Editor now supports HTML5 for Firefox and Chrome browsers. You will see an updated interface for the Record/Upload Media dialog box:
Flash is still supported for Internet Explorer users, but you must verify that it is enabled.
- From the Settings gear, select “Manage Add-ons”
- Locate Shockwave or Flash from the publisher Adobe Systems Inc.
- If status is Disabled, click Enable button.
This update will make it easier for Chrome and Firefox users to use the Media Recorder. Previously, users had to manually allow Flash, which is blocked by default in Chrome and Firefox.
The next Canvas release will be deployed on Saturday, January 5, with release notes available Monday, December 17.
Images on this page are from the Canvas Guides, licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International Agreement.